1. Remove stem and slice strawberries in half.
2. Place in a non re-active, heavy duty pot.
3. Pour sugar and cook on medium, low flame until strawberries
start to break down.
4. Stir every couple of minutes so as not to scorch the bottom
5. Allow strawberries to cook until slightly thickened, about
6. Let cool.
Strawberry Ice Cream
1. Combine milk and cream in a large sauce pot.
2. Combine yolks and sugar and mix together until well combined.
3. Bring milk and cream to a boil and pour over yolk mixture.
4. Whisk to combine.
5. Pour back onto to stove and cook stirring constantly until
nape (or coats a back of a spoon.
6. Place in ice bath and stir until cool.
7. Strain through a chinois or a fine mesh strainer.
8. Add 1 cup of strawberry preserve to the ice cream base
and mix to combine.
9. Freeze in ice cream machine.
10. Reserve ice cream for assembly of dessert.
1. Sift flour, baking soda and baking powder together and
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add egg and combine, scrape down bowl.
4. Add 1/2 of the dry ingredients, mix just until combined.
5. Add sour cream, mix just until combined.
6. Add rest of the dry ingredients, mix until combined.
7. Add strawberry preserve, mix by hand.
8. Spray 1/4 size sheet pan with vegetable oil.
9. Spray, then line the sheet pan with parchment paper, then
10. Spread the batter evenly over the pan and bake in a 350
degree oven for about 20-30 minutes.
11. The cake will be slightly golden in colour and "springy"
when touched. 12. Let cool completely.
1. Cut the strawberry cake (cut using a 2 1/2" diameter cutter
into 6 circles).
2. Slice each circle in half lengthwise.
3. Place on a sheet pan with parchment in 3 by 4 rows.
4. Place in freezer to get hard and cold.
5. Once cold, scoop ice cream and put scoop in center of cold
cake leaving a 1/2" border.
6. Place back in freezer until ready.
To Prepare Meringue
1. Place egg whites in a clean dry bowl and whisk in
2. Place bowl over pot of barley simmering water (DO NOT LET
BOWL SIT IN WATER).
3. Whisk every couple of minutes until egg whites are "hot"
4. Place in a clean, dry bowl of the kitchen aid.
5. Add a pinch of salt.
6. Whisk on high until cooled and thick like meringue.
7. Place in a piping bag with 1/4" round tip.
8. Leave extra meringue in bowl, working so as not to break
down the meringue.
9. Take sheet pan with ice cream out of the freezer and pipe
around border with the meringue so as to see the ice cream
10. Continue piping around the ice cream until you've reached
the top. (This should resemble an igloo).
11. Pipe the rest and place back in the freezer until ready
to complete dessert.
1. Clean rhubarb and slice into 1/2" slices.
2. Place in a sauce pot.
3. Clean lemon grass and chop into pieces.
4. Add to rhubarb with rest of ingredients.
5. If rhubarb is not submerges in liquid, add more wine and
a little water.
6. Cook rhubarb over a medium, low flame.
7. Mix every couple of minutes, do not boil rhubarb.
8. Cook slowly until rhubarb is completely tender and falling
9. Strain through a china cap/conical strainer and let liquid
drain out of the rhubarb, do not push through.
10. Strain through chinois next.
11. Liquid should be clear and pink.
12. Slice strawberries into small (shaved) slices.
13. Steep in warm consommé.
1.Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
2. Place sheet pan with Alaska's in oven until golden brown.
3. In 12 bowls, pour liquid with strawberries.
4. Place Alaska's on top of strawberries.